Remnants of superseded baths begun in 1898.
Woonona, NSW, 2517, Australia
Nineteenth century Bulli-Woonona was a coal-mining area, ‘Black Diamond’ country. The panoramic view from the top of the Bulli Pass attracted tourists.
A meeting at Dickson’s Hotel in Bulli sought funds to construct suitable baths for Bulli and Woonona. The local MP suggested applying for a lease of the foreshore. The enthusiastic meeting decided that after the baths were erected, a swimming club and school clubs would be formed.
A public meeting about public baths was informed that the land proposed for baths was owned not by the government, but by a Mr Cooper, who promised residents the right to erect a pool, and that he would not only provide free access to the pool whether it was above or below the water line but would also provide a road from the beach round to the rocks. The meeting decided to form itself into a bathing club with monthly fees from sixpence. The Woonona Bathing Club began enthusiastically constructing baths at Collins Rocks. Work on the baths eventually came to a standstill and a government grant was sought to defray costs.
By December 1898, the Woonona Baths cut into the solid rock at Collins Rocks were complete at a total cost of 90 pounds, raised partly by private subscription and partly by government grant. Celebrated as ‘the first of this kind of rock baths in the district’, the baths were 60 feet by 30 feet and incorporated a flush valve for sluicing. 1900 It was decided to add a bathing-shed to the baths.
The bathing-shed at the baths was completed.
With the Collins Point Baths half-full of sand, new baths were needed and sought.
Bulli Shire Council was formed.