In 2019, All into Ocean Pools inc offered a single ocean pool art award. Only members of All into Ocean Pools inc were eligible to receive an allocation of prizemoney from the fund set up to honour the late Shirley Ellis.
Donald Yates, Caroline Josephs, Darryl Chute and Tara Daly were awarded:
- prizemoney of $200 for Mythic Creatures – Wylies Pool – Phytoplankton (an entry comprising an oil painting of Wylies Ocean Pool by Caroline Joseph and the music video it inspired. Donald Yates wrote a song imagining a conversation with the mythic pool creatures about the importance to human life of the green of the ocean – phytoplankton, which creates over 60% of the oxygen we breathe. Darryl Chute arranged and produced the song. Tara Daly was the singer.
- a commendation for Wylies Pool – The Cormorant (an entry comprising a music video and an oil painting – The song is inspired by the cormorant from Wylies Baths at Coogee, NSW. Words and melody by Don Yates, sung by Tara Daly, painting by Caroline Josephs, music arrangement by Darryl Chute from Fountainhead Music Sydney Australia (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaSXTZuYOAs).
Brian Bornstein was awarded:
- prizemoney of $100 for Rush, showing a rush of water at Collaroy Rock Pool
- prizemoney of $100 for Strike, showing sunrise, a storm and lightning over the Merewether Ocean Baths
- an Honourable Mention for Mothers Day Madness, a shot of a pre-sunrise Bronte Baths, and a Special Commendation for his 5 entries.
Graham Gall was awarded:
- an Honourable Mention for Coogee Foam, a shot of the Ross Jones Pool, and
- a Special Commendation for his 5 entries.
Peter Andrews was awarded an Honourable Mention for Cape Paterson Bay Beach Ocean Pool, a black and white sketch en plain air with watercolour on a double page layout – A6 Moleskin render in pencil wash of the ocean pool at Cape Paterson in Victoria’s South East Gippsland.
The 2018 Shirley Ellis Award
2018 saw our inauguration of a members-only award named the Shirley Ellis Art Award to honour a foundation member Shirley Ellis, who died in 2017. This award was intended to appeal to many of our existing members and attract new members.
The 2018 Shirley Ellis Art Award was for original artwork created by one or more financial members of All into Ocean Pools relating to one or more of the ocean pools listed on our website.
The 2018 inaugural members-only Shirley Ellis Award for artwork (visual/performing arts) about ocean pools had a total prize-money pool of AU$400. This comprised AU$200 of prize-money contributed by our sponsor, Diverse Productions Pty Ltd and AU$200 contributed by one of our founder members.
About the entries
Entries could be any form of visual /performing arts (including photographs, paintings, prints, sketches, videos, music and audio recordings, and even apps) submitted in a digital format or available for online viewing by our judges.
Entries had to:
- be original work by one or more financial members (including child, adult, concession and household members) of All into Ocean Pools Inc,
- explicitly state the name of the entry’s creator(s),
- explicitly state how the entry relates to one or more of the ocean pools listed on our website, and
- state whether the creators of the entry are (or intend to be) financial (child, adult, concession and/or household) members of All into Ocean Pools Inc at 30 September 2018.
Entries closed on 30 September 2018 and only entries from persons who are financial (child, adult, concession and/or household) members of All into Ocean Pools Inc on 30 September 2018 were considered by the judges. Judging took place in October 2018 with our judges empowered to choose to allocate the total prize-money pool to a single entry or divide it among several entries or decide not to award the entire pool of prize-money.
2018 Shirley Ellis Award Results
Results were announced in November 2018 with judges awarding prizemoney of:
- AU$150 to Caroline Josephs for Ancestral Creatures — Wylie’s Pool,
- AU$150 to Peter Andrews for Terrigal Rock Pool early morning.