The late Pat Skinner was a writer and an ocean pool enthusiast who would be very pleased with our judges’ 2017 decisions.
Our judges allocated prize-money to two writers:
• AU$500 to Lizzie Buckmaster Dove for her reflective essay Archaeology of Sea Pools: A Love Letter, and
• AU$250 to Caroline Josephs for her poem Winter Swimming — Body Oceanic.
The authors of the two entries awarded prize-money have given us permission to publish those entries in the forthcoming issue of Ocean Pool News.
Our judges awarded Honourable Mentions to:
• Tracey Maguire for her poem Changing of the Sisterhood,
• Brydie Piaf for her poem And Swim, and
• Sheridan Hopkins for her prose piece, Pool Fantasies.
Our judges awarded Special Commendations to:
• Friends of Bude Sea pool for their Bude Sea Pool Handbook 2017, and
• Therese Spruhan for a series of blog posts.